Created for Greatist by the specialists at Healthline. Learn extra
Your buddy, coworker, that girl on the farmer’s market — all of them swear tea tree oil has helped them handle their eczema. However is it price giving a attempt?
The important oil does include properties that appear to be useful for itchy, irritated pores and skin. Nevertheless, regardless of its recognition as a skincare hero, there’s not truly a ton of analysis on tea tree oil for eczema. In truth, it might truly make your signs even worse.
Since information is energy, right here’s a take a look at how tea tree oil important oil would possibly be useful, the doable dangers for individuals with eczema, and find out how to apply it safely if you happen to assume you need to give it a attempt.
Earlier than going any additional, let’s take a fast take a look at what tea tree oil truly is. The important oil, which is typically additionally referred to as melaleuca oil from its Latin title, is derived from the leaves of the Australian tea tree.
Like different important oils, tea tree oil is extremely concentrated. That implies that whereas its useful properties are tremendous potent, it additionally has the potential to be irritating to the pores and skin, identical to every other ingredient.
Tea tree oil is usually used to deal with pores and skin issues like zits, bacterial or fungal infections, and bug bites. There’s additionally some analysis suggesting it might be useful for a spread of annoying eczema signs — which might add as much as calmer, extra snug pores and skin.
All in all, tea tree oil has the next properties which may benefit these with eczema:
- Anti-inflammatory: to ease redness, swelling, and irritation.
- Antimicrobial and antifungal: to assist stave off infections and ease itching.
- Antiseptic: to appease.
- Antioxidant: to assist shield pores and skin from damaging free radicals.
One essential factor to bear in mind? Whereas tea tree oil appears to boast many properties that might be useful for irritated or infected pores and skin, not many trials have studied the oil as a remedy for eczema particularly.
One examine did discover that tea tree oil was more practical than typical eczema remedies like zinc oxide and clobetasone butyrate lotions.
Whereas it’s a begin, there’s nonetheless loads specialists don’t learn about tea tree oil and the way it would possibly have an effect on your pores and skin situation, says the Nationwide Middle for Complementary and Integrative Well being. And for some individuals, the oil can truly trigger pores and skin irritation and rashes.
If you wish to give tea tree oil a attempt, it’s price ensuring you utilize the oil safely. Right here’s our recommendations on find out how to discover a high quality oil and use it as successfully as doable.
Discover a high quality oil
Tea tree oil and different important oils aren’t regulated by the FDA, so it’s essential to do your homework to be sure to’re shopping for a product that’s secure and unadulterated.
Search out an oil that’s verified by a third-party certifier and offered by a provider that reveals the place they supply from. Additionally make certain it hasn’t handed its expiration date. When you’ve discovered a great choice, get the inexperienced mild out of your healthcare supplier earlier than shopping for.
Dilute it with a provider oil
Important oils like tea tree are extremely concentrated, so diluting the stuff in a impartial provider oil (as a substitute of making use of it straight to your pores and skin) is a should!
Coconut, jojoba, and sunflower oil are good provider choices for individuals with eczema, since they’ve useful compounds that would assist moisturize and shield dry, infected pores and skin. They’ll additionally final greater than a yr in your shelf.
As for a way a lot to use? Specialists don’t know excellent dosage quantities for tea tree oil, so it is smart to begin with a extremely diluted quantity. (If it appears to work however you need extra oomph, you’ll be able to at all times add a bit of bit extra to your provider oil subsequent time.)
For a 2.5 % dilution, attempt mixing 15 drops of tea tree important oil with 6 teaspoons of provider oil.
Do a patch take a look at (critically)
Earlier than you go slathering tea tree oil throughout your physique, try it out on a small, inconspicuous spot. That approach if in case you have a nasty response, you gained’t must take care of an enormous flare-up in every single place.
So, earlier than the rest, do a patch take a look at by rubbing 1–2 diluted drops onto your interior arm or interior elbow. No response in 48 hours? You need to be good to go, although that is nonetheless no assure.
If it’s crimson or irritated, that’s an indication that you just and tea tree oil most likely don’t combine. Wash the world completely and don’t use the stuff in your pores and skin once more.
Apply it safely
Pores and skin survived the patch take a look at simply effective? Now you’ll be able to attempt the diluted tea tree oil on bigger areas of your physique.
Because you’re mixing it with a hydrating provider oil, begin by making use of the tea tree oil as soon as per day proper after bathing. You would experiment with making use of it extra typically if it appears to appease your pores and skin.
It’s okay to use diluted tea tree oil to most components of your physique. However you’ll be in a world of harm if it will get in your eyes, so don’t put it wherever close to them. Preserve it away out of your mouth too (and naturally, don’t drink it or put it in your mouth), for the reason that oil might be poisonous when ingested.
And maintain these bottles out of attain of youngsters and pets. Unintentional ingestion might be simply as dangerous to your furbabies!
Are there different important oils price making an attempt if tea tree oil doesn’t supply the reduction you’re on the lookout for?
Admittedly, the analysis on eczema and important oils basically is fairly restricted. However a handful of research have discovered that a couple of different oils might probably be useful.
- Peppermint. One small examine discovered that peppermint EO relieved itching when mixed with petroleum jelly, however the topics didn’t even have eczema.
- Neem. Although research are scarce, many Ayurvedic practitioners use neem for its calming properties on even essentially the most delicate pores and skin.
- Borage oil. It incorporates omega-6 fatty acids that may promote wholesome pores and skin construction, and some findings have demonstrated a small profit for individuals with eczema.
- Calendula oil. Specialists haven’t checked out it for eczema particularly, however analysis suggests that calendula oil does appear to have anti-inflammatory properties that may ease ache and swelling. It’s even been confirmed helpful in treating acute dermatitis in sufferers present process irradiation remedies.
- Tea tree oil has properties that would probably ease dry pores and skin and irritation and combating pores and skin infections.
- However there’s restricted analysis on utilizing tea tree oil to deal with eczema particularly, and it might make your eczema worse.
- If you wish to give it a attempt, select a top quality oil, dilute in a provider oil, and carry out a patch take a look at earlier than making use of it on bigger areas of your physique.
- Above all, get your physician or dermatologist’s okay first.